2017 Skein Competition – Judge Wini Labrecque
Final Deadline: All skein entry forms must be received by November 1, 2017. Skeins can be mailed in, or brought to the show and dropped off by 5 pm on Friday November 10, 2017.
Entry Fee: $15.00 per skein (includes $3.00 AOA recording fee)
Class Limits: Each exhibitor may enter 2 entries per group/category/class, provided they are of different fiber preparations.
Show Limits: Farms may enter as many classes as desired, no limit on total classes entered.
Awards: Ribbons for 1st through 3rd.
Skein Division – Hand Spun Skein
- Beginning Spinner (spinning for less than one year). Please choose 1 or 2.
- Beginning Junior (18 years of age or younger).
- Beginning Adult (over 18 years of age).
- Intermediate Spinner (spinning for more than one year).
- Advanced Spinner (spinning for more than three years and has received a score of 90 or greater within a given class).
- Yarn spun from commercially prepared fiber (roving, bats, tops, etc.).
- Yarn spun from fiber hand prepared by the spinner.
- Hand Spindle – any ply (at least 50% alpaca).
- Classic Yarn – Singles – 100% Huacaya.
- Classic Yarn – Singles – 100% Suri.
- Classic Yarn – 2 or more ply – 100% Huacaya.
- Classic Yarn – 2 or more ply – 100% Suri.
- Classic Yarn – 2 or more ply – Blends (at least 50% alpaca).
- Novelty Yarn – must be spun using a defined technique: Nap, Core, Spiral, Know, Slub, Boucles,
- Beaded, etc. (at least 50% alpaca).
Skein Division – Mill Spun Skein
Yarn must be spun at a North American mill that will spin yarn from individual animals.
- Skeins entered by mill demonstrating their best work.
- Skeins entered by the individual farm showing the quality of yarn from their fiber.
- Finger yarns.
Knitting Superfine/Fine Yarn (Sock, Fingering, Baby, Sport)
Weaving 1,200 yarns/lb. or greater
- Light/medium yarns.
Knitting (DK, Light Worsted, Worsted, Aran)
Weaving 850 yarns/lb – 1,199 yarns/lb
- Bulky yarns.
Knitting bulky/super bulky
Weaving less than 850 yarns/lb
- Novelty yarns.
Rules: Skein Competition
- All entries, in all classes, must consist of 50% or more alpaca fiber.
- A maximum of 2 entries per group/category/class per exhibitor, provided they are of different fiber preparations for hand spun skeins OR they are from different production runs for mills.
- Items must have been completed within the last year (after November 1, 2016).
- Skeins must be submitted in the name of the spinner.
- Skeins must be at least 50 yards in length, 1 ½ to 2 yards in circumference for handspun yarns AND at least 100 yards in length for mill spun; neatly wound, “figure 8” tied in 4 places and placed in a one gallon zip lock-style plastic bag. Points may be deducted for any skein that is not at least 50 yards in length for handspun and 100 yards for mill spun.
- Each item must be accompanied by written construction. The construction description requires, but is not limited to the following information: fiber preparation, fiber content, techniques used and intended use of the yarn (i.e. clothing, rug, etc.). This description will be included in the points for judging. Mill spun skeins do not require a written description.
- No entries will be accepted at the show.
- Items must be left on display until 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 12, 2017.
- Written authorization is required for someone other than the Exhibitor to pick up the item.
- If skeins are mailed in, please include a flat fee of $7.00 to cover return postage.
- Items will be judged anonymously with points given for visual appeal, luster/brightness, cleanliness, color, skein appearance, handle, craftsmanship, cohesiveness, twist & execution, appropriate number of plies, diameter of yarn, structurally durable.
- 1st – 3rd place ribbons will be awarded in each division/group/category/class.
- Classes maybe combined if less than 4 entries per class are received.
- The Judge may change the category/class of an item at his/her discretion.
- Classic yarn classes may be further divided by thickness of yarn at the judge’s discretion.
Please register on line when possible or mail the entry form and payment.
Send Entries to:
c/o Diane Kreider
Nine Patch Alpacas
1885 Wilderness Road
Lancaster, PA 17603