2017 Fiber Arts Competition
Fiber Arts Divisions
- Beginner (Working in the Fiber Art for less than 2 years)
A. Junior – Ages 18 and younger
B. Adult – Over age 18.
- Intermediate (Working in the Fiber Art for more than 2 years)
- Advanced (Working in that Fiber Art for more than 5 years and has received a score of 90 or greater within a given class).
Fiber Arts Categories
- All handwork (100% handspun yarns with 100% hand made construction and/or 100% hand felted (from either raw fiber or handspun yarn).
- Part or non-handwork (use of commercially spun yarn and/or knitting machine made construction, less than 100% hand felted)
- Use of commercially spun yarn and/or knitting machine construction.
Less than 100% hand felting
Fiber Arts Groups
Fiber Arts Classes
- Accessories – any technique
Gloves, hats, socks, slippers, purses and other small wearable items such as jewelry
Shawls and scarves
- Garments – any technique
Sweaters, jackets, dresses, vests or complete outfits
- Hearth & Home – any technique
Art and toys (pictures, figurines, etc.)
Home furnishings (rugs, pillows, afghans, wall hangings, containers, etc).
Rules: Fiber Arts Competition
- All Entries, in all classes, must consist of 50% or more alpaca fiber.
- All Fiber Arts items must be one-of-a kind items crafted by the exhibitor
- A maximum of 1 entry per division/category/group/class per exhibitor
- Items must have been completed during the last year (after November 11, 2016)
- No substitutions
- A completed Entry Tag must accompany the item, stating the artisan’s name, address, and class number. If known the name and a photograph of the alpaca from which the fiber was gathered may also be included and attached to the Entry Tag.
- Each item must be accompanied by a written description that provides construction details. This description will be included in the points for judging. The description requires, but is not limited to, the following information: fiber preparation, fiber content, techniques used, as well as, intended use. Written descriptions shall not exceed a 3” x 5″ card and must NOT contain identifying information, including but not limited to alpaca name, individual name or ranch identifying information. NOTE: description cards containing identifying information will be removed and no points for written descriptions will be awarded.
- Please see the 2016 AOA SHOW DIVISION HANDBOOK for Judging Criteria
- Entry fees are $15.00 per item for Fiber Arts Entry
- Entries and tags can be dropped off at the show on Friday by 3 pm, but the entry form must be mailed/postmarked by November 1, 2017 with the payment.
- You must include a return address from the US Post Office to have your entries and awards returned to you after the show. You or a representative that you designate may also pick up the fleece entries after noon (12:00pm) on Sunday November 12, 2017. Entries not picked up or without adequate prepaid postage WILL NOT BE RETURNED. Written authorization is required for someone other than the Exhibitor to pick up the item.
- As a standard PAOBA show policy, every effort will be made to provide a secure environment, but PAOBA cannot be responsible for individual items displayed. There is security in the building and the Fiber Arts Display will be covered with sheets each night. Submission of an entry indicates agreement with these terms.
Send Entries to:
c/o Beth Lutz
The Alpaca Yarn Company
144 Roosevelt Ave.
York, PA 17401